Monday, August 29, 2011

A New Start

I've been playing around for a while with the idea of blogging again about some ideas that I've been very passionate about lately - namely: stewardship & simplicity - I think in an effort to try to sort it all out myself.

I've been deeply convicted recently about the idea that we are not owners (despite all that our materialistic, ad-saturated culture tells us), but are merely stewards; middle-men. All our money, time, possessions are gifts from God and are never really ours to control. When I die, my house, my car, my furniture- all of it will still be here even though I'm gone. It's not really mine, I'm stewarding it for the time being.

So, the big questions forming in my mind these days (& warning: you won't find the answers here- I'm still searching for them myself) are: What does it mean to be a steward of my money, my house, my time, my talents? How can I best use all that I've been given to serve God's kingdom? And more importantly, how do I know the best way to serve God's kingdom?

One of the reasons I fell in love with the idea of simplicity and minimalism a few years ago, is because of its connection to the well-known quote, "Live simply, so that others may simply live." I'm so convicted by the fact that there are starving people all over the world today while I'm eating way more food than I'll ever need and stockpiling more possessions than I need. Are my superfluous purchases more important than a life?! Never. But how do I reconcile that with the culture we live in? And where do I draw the line?

Like I said, I don't pretend to have all the answers (maybe not even any of them). But I'm hoping to pop into this space with thoughts, quotes, or inspiration in these areas of simplicity & stewardship. Maybe you can help me find some answers... Maybe we can embark on this journey together...

No comments: